You can find "Ashaway School Library" on Facebook!
Follow our page to be notified of blog updates!

Friday, February 3, 2012

From the Desk of the Shelf Elf

The Bookapillar and one of Skoob's letters
Last week I wrote about the letters our kindergarten students wrote to Skoob, the library Shelf Elf.  As promised, I would like to share some of the children's questions and the responses they received!

Both classes told Skoob that they'd like to meet him and asked where he lives.  Skoob replied,  
"I am glad that you would like to meet me.  I hope you will 
forgive me, but I am very shy and like to stay hidden.  You asked 
me where I live in the library.  Well, I haven’t decided on one place.  
Sometimes I sleep under a tree next to a yellow brick road.   Last 
night I slept in the castle at the top of a bean stalk.  (Good thing
I’m a good hider so the giant doesn’t find me!)  My favorite spot 
is under the bed of a little boy.  That probably sounds dark and 
scary, but I really enjoy it because the boy 
loves to sing and I love music!"
Well, that explains why we never see him...he can use his magic to go into the stories on the shelves! Did you recognize the ones he mentioned in his letter?  They're all books we have in our library: The Wizard of Oz, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Mortimer.

Mrs. Smith's class also asked Skoob if he likes the book about him, "The Shelf Elf", and if he likes all the other books in the library.  Can you guess his answer?
"The Shelf Elf  is my favorite,  but it’s a lot of fun 
exploring all the different kinds of 
books you find in the library!"

For the first time since I've started having students write letters to Skoob, both classes asked about the doll of Skoob that we have in the library.  Mrs. Smith's class wanted to know if Skoob ever plays with the doll, and Miss Lambert's class asked if his vest really has one big button on it.  This is what he had to share:
"Sometimes I read a story with Bear and the doll I made so 
it feels like we’re having our own story time!  You were 
wondering if my vest really has a button on it.  The answer 
is: it sure does!  When I made the toy Shelf Elf, I tried 
hard to make it look just like me.

 Skoob not only answered the students' letters, but he also left a special surprise for them.  Did you see the toy Bookapillar in the picture above?
"I’m so glad you like the doll I made.  It was fun 
making it, so I even stitched together another little 
present for you.  I hope it reminds you to be super 
careful with your library books both at school and at home!"

Both classes promised to help Skoob win the Golden Shelf Elf Award, and they're getting a little closer each week.  Each time the class leaves the library, I walk around and count each "oops" that I find, such as a shelf marker that hasn't been put away.  In order to win the award, there can't be more than 5.  I can't wait to report that both classes have earned this special recognition.  Skoob and I will be so proud! 

No comments:

Post a Comment