You can find "Ashaway School Library" on Facebook!
Follow our page to be notified of blog updates!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Looking for a Moose - Kindergarten Rhyme Time!

Mrs. Smith told me that she was working on rhyming with her kindergarten class, and right away I thought of a terrific book: Looking for a Moose by Phyllis Root.  Four friends and their trusty dog set out in search of a moose, but finding one turns out to be a lot harder than they thought.  They travel through "the treesy-breezy, tilty-stilty, wobbly-knobbly woods" and "the sloppy-gloppy, lily-loppy, slurpy-glurpy swamp" and even the "brambly-ambly, bunchy-scrunchy, scrubby-shrubby bushes".  Eventually of course their search is rewarded.  Our students have sharp eyes: they spotted moose in the illustrations that the characters didn't see!  The class loved the surprise ending, and then we went on our own search for some moose!

 
I put up a set of cards that had one word on blue paper and three more on white paper.  Only one of the words on the white paper rhymed with the word on the blue paper.  On the back of the rhyming card I had glued a picture of a moose.  Then I challenged the students to "Find the Moose"!  We read the words out loud so the children could figure out which card was hiding the moose.  Their reactions when we found the moose were a riot...they got so excited!  Unfortunately we ran out of time, so I wasn't able to use all the packs of cards I had made.  I shared the activity with Mrs. Smith, and she used the rest of the cards with them in class.  She even gave me the great suggestion to laminate the cards so that the children could practice with them on their own in one of the classroom centers.  Hooray for a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment