You can find "Ashaway School Library" on Facebook!
Follow our page to be notified of blog updates!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Chariho's First Elementary Poetry Slam!

Wednesday, April 30th was the first-ever Chariho Elementary Poetry Slam!  Nearly half of all participants were from Ashaway School, so we were very well represented!  I'm so proud of the students who not only followed through on penning an original poem, but also for courageously taking the stage to share their work in front of an audience.  It was a wonderful evening and my thanks go out to all who helped to make it happen!!

 
All of the students who participated were presented with a medal and personal "poetry slam" notebook before leaving the stage.  They were so proud!  Several students showed me the notes and some new poem ideas they had written before they had even left the building!


           When I Dream                                       Mermaids
          by Lilly, Grade 2                              by Erika, Grade 1
Planets                                                               Mermaids
I know there's 8                                    Beautiful  Colorful  Dressing
Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars                  Collecting  Swimming
Saturn and Jupiter                                  Meeting a prince to marry
Uranus and Neptune                                            Princess
When I close my eyes
I'm in outer space                            
Floating, flying                         Sugar is Sweet        
Stars all around                       by Madelyn, Grade K        
I hop on an asteroid                Sugar is Sweet        
And shoot past the sun            So are lollipops
A space explorer                    So is the Easter Bunny's jellybeans        
That's who I am                      So are you!
When I dream



Summer
by Zoe Coscia, Grade 1

The bees are in the trees.
The trees have lots of leaves.
I like to go to the beach to swim in the wide, wide sea.

I like to ride my bike
In the warm sun's light.
When the breeze is swaying I like to fly my kite.

When the sun goes down,
And the moon comes up,
I like to go to the park to see the 
Fireworks light up.

At night when I am sleeping
And the owls and crickets are awake
I hear them peep and hoot so that's the sounds 
They make.

Summer is sunny, warm and bright
When the sun is sunny I feel just right
Winter is not my most favorite season because I can't
Wear flip flops that is one of my favorite reasons
I Just Love Summer!


I Twirl My Hair
By Isabella, Grade 2
I put my hand in my bangs
and I twirl my hair around
I twirl them when I'm up in the air
or here on the ground
I twirl my hair when I'm nervous, scared, or stressed
I twirl my hair when I'm looking at my spelling test
I do it because it's fun
It makes me feel better
when it is raining and there is no sun
when I twirl my hair
it forms a fancy knot
when I twirl only a bit of hair
it kinda looks like a frizzy dot
I twirl my hair when I'm happy or sad
I twirl my hair if my day is good or bad
I twirl my hair fast or slow
I thought you should know


Homework is Not Fun                                 
By Nathan, Grade 4   

Home is not fun,
But I always get it done.
I don't like it when it takes so long,
And neither when I get it wrong.
  
I would rather read a book,
Paint a picture, or be a cook.
I would rather put a worm on a hook
And go fishing on Sunday,
But oh no, here comes Monday!

Homework is not fun,
But I always get it done.

Homework is FUN!
By Curtis, Grade 4

I think homework is fun
I get excited when I'm done

I like to do my math
I like to know my facts

I read books every night
Science and adventures are what I like

But, I often forget to log
I guess my brain was in a fog

But, that's okay,
It doesn't really matter anyway.

The important thing to say
Is that I learned what I needed to today.


Thanks go out to Mr. Gencarelli, principal of Hope Valley School.  He did a terrific job organizing this event, plus he made an excellent stage hand!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment